Don't you just love this time of year - "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go..." such memories come with the Thanksgiving holiday. I grew up living just up the hill from my grandparents on my mothers side and then later when Grandpa passed away Grandma lived with us. In those days it was family close by, neighbors close by and friends visiting. Sometimes relatives were there visiting us and there was plenty of help getting dinner ready and at clean up time. Ladies chattering away as they worked together in the kitchen. Dad always carved the turkey on a cutting board I now have at my home. I'd help place the turkey in slices on the platter which was usually garnished with some parsley from Mom's kitchen garden and it was said Agnes Erickson (Mom's long-time friend) who married a well-off financially older man, ALWAYS had to have parsely as a garnish and said that milk, water or juice should never be served out of a carton but a pitcher. Grandma always liked the "pope's nose" (tail) but when Aunt Violet was there she liked it, too. Grandma, being older, got the pope's nose. Darkness came early and the house was warm and cozy.We'd eat at the dining table set with Mom's blue and white Spode Fleur de Lis dishes, silverware and crystal. Roast turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes cooked in some brown sugar, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, carrot sticks, celery strips, pickles and olives and then the pumpkin pie with real whipping cream. I can just see it and smell it now.
So this year as my husband and I have our sons and a girlfriend sitting at Grandma's old oak table with Mom's dishes and silverware there will also be many memories of loved ones who are no longer here.
Also central to our celebration will be thankfulness for God sending His only begotten Son to die for us so we can be saved and united with God and some day see the loved ones who have passed on before us. We can be thankful for each of our lives and His grace to us.
I also thank God for my very best friend who is just like a sister to me. She brightens my days and is always a kind, listening ear and I love hearing about her life and days that are often so different from mine.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:
Post a Comment